With over 800 visitors and 54 vendors, the 2014 Estherville Area Chamber of Commerce Farm and Home Show at the Regional Wellness Center this past weekend was a resounding success.
Vendors offered myriad products, ranging from plumbing to water systems and from kitchen products to contractors.
One of the exhibitors was tom Noah of T&M Safety Systems who had an exhibit of alarms - that had gone through a fire.
T&M, which offers products having anything to do with residential fire safety, has both smoke and heat detectors as well as other home fire safety products. Noah showed one heat detector that had gone off before a smoke detector, showing that each variety has its purpose.
Noah said a new photoelectric wireless model has a 20-year battery.
Noah said a typical installation includes one smoke detector on each level in all bedrooms and heat detectors in the kitchen, furnace room and laundry.
Noah cautioned that most people don't change fire alarm batteries or have enough smoke alarms. He said most people don't have fire drills or a meeting place in the event of a fire either.
Noah also noted some easy fire prevention tips:
n Cooking hazards.
n Using the right extension cord.
n Not overloading circuits.
n Being careful with smoking or burning candles.
n Don't run a dryer when you're not home.
"That's why you're got to think about it beforehand," Noah said.