homepage logo

Excuses to not vote fade away

By Staff | May 31, 2008

Iowa’s Primary Election is just three days away.

Don’t panic if the best intention to become voter-ready was forgotten.

There are still options available whether you wish to register and elect a party to vote in or switch parties to let your voice be heard in a specific race.

County Auditor Bev Juhl took time from her busy Friday to explain Same-Day Registration procedures to the Estherville Daily News so readers can exercise their right at the polls on Tuesday.

“If a resident is not currently registered to vote in Emmet County, that person can go to his/her precinct for the area of residence and register to vote providing proof of identity is verified with either:

n A current, unexpired valid picture ID.

n Iowa driver’s license with current address in Emmet County.

Juhl said if the voter’s driver’s license is listing a previous address, other documentation proving the current address is necessary.

“This can be a current utility bill with the voter’s name included, a pay stub, paycheck, any other form of government identification or document.

All hope is not lost if the voter cannot locate any of the above verification markers.

“If the voter can bring another person to the precinct, someone who is a registered voter from the same precinct, to attest to the person’s identity and residence, the person can vote.

There is still one other option open to voters who cannot comply with the requirements listed above.

“If none of this is possible, the person can vote on a provisional ballot until Friday, June 5 but only until 2 p.m. and documentation is still required.

The auditor reminds that all voting tabulations are unofficial until the Emmet County Board of Supervisors does the official canvassing of ballots on Tuesday, June 10 at its regular board meeting.

“I don’t think we will have a whole lot of same-day registration this time around. But I think there’s potential for a lot more during the November General Election.

All primary election voters must be affiliated with the Democrat or Republican parties for eligibility. The November General Election does not carry this stipulation.

“You must have a Republican or Democratic ballot for the Primary Election only,” Juhl reiterated.

“If the person, whether Democrat, Republican or Independent, makes a certain ballot request to the poll worker and it is not the current registered party, the party affiliation will be changed to mirror the request made at the polling place when the auditor’s office processes the election,” Juhl said.

“After the election, the voter can change back to the original party by filling out a form at the auditor’s office.

This form can be secured at the precincts or the auditor’s office. “But voters must either mail or hand deliver them to the auditor’s office.”

She reminds that absentee ballots must be postmarked no later than Monday, June 1, 2008, to be considered valid.

Polling places will be open on Tuesday from 7 a.m.-9 p.m.