×
×
homepage logo

BREAKING NEWS

Highway 4 completion and reopening uncertain

By Staff | Oct 20, 2009

The weather continues to play havoc with the reopening of Highway 4 (South Ninth Street) in Estherville.

At the regular council meeting on Monday, city administrator Penny Clayton was reluctant to give a date when the street will be open.

“They need seven dry days to finish-and that’s after it’s been given time to dry up,” she said.

Clayton listed a few of the items that remain to be completed-eight driveways, sidewalks and four storm sewer intakes. Also needed to be done is some backfill and grading.

Concerning the alley reconstruction project between Fifth and Sixth streets, that work also has been delayed.

Alley reconstruction between Sixth and Seventh streets will be put on hold until after the frost is out in the spring.

Clayton also reported on the funds generated by the local option sales tax. She said the balance is ahead of where it was projected. As approved by voters in 2008, 60 percent of the proceeds from the one-cent sales tax is for community betterment with the remaining 40 percent used to assist the city’s general fund.

“Based on the budget, the balance is $54,000 higher than the budget estimate,” said Clayton.

However, she cautioned that while the Iowa Department of Revenue’s estimates have been on target thus far, that could change.

In other business, council

n is suspending the retail cigarette/tobacco permit of Kum & Go at 103 Central Avenue for a fourth violation of selling to a minor. The suspension begins today (Oct. 20) and continues through midnight on Dec. 19.

n approved a building permit for the Emmet County Historical Society for a commercial building at 1720 Third Ave. S.The building will be 36 by 80 feet made of a hardy panel stucco.

n approving blocking off parking spaces n the west side of North Six Street south of First Avenue North on Oct. 24 for an Iowa Lakes Community College fundraiser

n approved blocking off parking spaces on the south side of First Avenue North in the 600 block for a performance by the Estherville Lincoln Central Drill Team for the city’s “Lights On” event on Oct. 22.

Also, the council held to public hearings on separate reclassification requests.

The first changes portions of the 700 block of South 10th Street from light industrial to multi-family residential.

The second reclassified the building at 33 South 18th St. from highway commercial to light industrial.

No one commented at the hearings. Council waived the required three readings and adopted the changes.