×
×
homepage logo

Spontaneous combustion blamed for small blaze

By Staff | Apr 21, 2011

Estherville firefighters didn’t take long to extinguish a small fire at 211 N. Sixth St. Wednesday in Estherville. EDN photo by David Swartz

Estherville firefighters were called out to 211 N. Sixth St at 4:21 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.

According to fire chief Dick Beaver, firefighters discovered smoke filled the upstairs apartment and the street-level business.

The business is owned by Chavett Sikes.

Beaver said the fire appears to have been a spontaneous combustion of some potting soil chemicals that were being used to start tomato plants in a back room of the business.

Fire damage was limited to a table and some of the plants.

Gary and Betty Fiddler own the building.

Wallingford firefighters, Estherville police and ambulance and Emmet County deputies assisted the Estherville firefighters.

Firefighters were on the scene approximately one hour.