Students evacuated briefly after anhydrous accident
An anhydrous ammonia tank accident caused some commotion in Estherville Friday morning. But no leakage occurred and the tank was safely removed from town.
According to Estherville assistant fire chief Greg Langford, a pickup owned by The Andersons Inc., was hauling a trailer carrying an anhydrous ammonia tank when the axle broke and both wheels came off. The incident happened around 8:30 a.m.
Estherville Lincoln Central High School and Middle School students were evacuated to the Regional Wellness Center as a precautionary measure.
Officials gave the all-clear around 9:30 a.m., after a wrecker moved the tank outside of town to Greig’s cattle lot.
Students were back in class around 9:45 a.m.
Firefighters were on scene about an hour. The Estherville Police Department assisted.