homepage logo

A-R 55, Woodbine 12: Mustangs unleash opening salvo

By Staff | Oct 30, 2008

Armstrong-Ringsted kicker Ethan Eisenbacher (19) was kept busy with kickoffs and extra points in the Mustangs’ 55-12 win over Woodbine in the 8-Man Substate game in Armstrong on Wednesday. Also on the kickoff are Dylan Looft (52), Dakota Oderman (13), Seth Anderson (15) and Joe Brandenburg (22). EDN photo by Alex Ascherl

ARMSTRONG – The No. 5 Armstrong-Ringsted football team started its 2008 playoff run the same as in 2007-with an easy first-round victory.

Tyler Tonderum had over 200 yards and scored five times in the Mustangs’ 55-12 win over Woodbine.

“This is probably the last time the seniors will be at home, but it is not the last time they will play in front of our fans,” said A-R coach Robert Zotz. “It was a great first-round of the playoffs and now we need to get ready for Remsen-Union.”

A-R’s defense set the tone in the first half.

The Mustangs forced Woodbine to punt on its first possession and then promptly drove downfield with Tonderum scoring on a 16-yard run with 8:36 remaining.

Tyler Tonderum (25) follows guard Joe Brandenburg (22) through a hole in the Tiger defense in Wednesday’s substate game. EDN photo by Alex Ascherl

On Woodbine’s next drive, the Tigers tried to convert a fourth-and-one with A-R making the stop.

The Mustangs took the short field with Christiansen scoring on a 7-yard run at the 5-minute mark in the first quarter.

Woodbine moved the ball across midfield on a play that they faked to the left and ran the option to the right. The flip from quarterback Nathan Lee to Jon Gale went 37 yards to the A-R 24-yard line.

The Mustang defense stiffened again as Woodbine tried to convert a fourth-and-long. The intended pass for the first down was caught, but several feet out-of-bounds and A-R took over at the 23-yard line.

The Mustangs led 14-0 after one quarter, but faced fourth-and-seven to start the second period.

Armstrong-Ringsted senior Seth Anderson hangs on for the tackle on Woodbine’s Jon Gale. EDN photo by Alex Ascherl

Not a problem. Quarterback Ridge Christiansen connected with Craig Tigges, who was had a step on his defender and ran the final dozen yards into the end zone for a 20-yard touchdown.

Ethan Eisenbacher, who was 7-of-8 on extra points, then had his only miss as A-R led 20-0.

Woodbine started its next drive at the 18, got a couple first downs and then converted a fourth-and-1 at midfield.

A pass from Lee to Austin Hedstrom took the Tigers to the Mustang 23.

Three plays later, Woodbine faced fourth-and-six, but a screen pass to Gabe went tot he Mustang 4-yard line. Zach Coleman then ran the ball in from there, but Tonderum blocked the extra-point attempt as A-R led 20-6.

The Mustangs responded immediately with its fourth scoring drive of the half. Christiansen and Tonderum nearly alternated runs with Tonderum completing the drive on a 5-yard run.

That made the halftime score 27-6.

The Mustangs put the game out of reach in the second half. On the first play from scrimmage, Tonderum broke through the Tiger defense and ran 65 yards for the score.

Spencer Clausen intercepted a Lee pass on Woodbine’s subsequent possession and Tonderum ran the ball in from 12 yards out to make the score 41-6.

With the clock now running continuously via the 35-point rule, Woodbine needed to score and they went to the air to move the ball downfield and scored on a 3-yard run by lee.

Again A-R answered and put the game up by 35 points on a Tonderum 3-yard run.

With time running down, the Mustang reserves took over and Clausen had a 13-yard run to complete the scoring.

The Mustangs rushed fro 344 yards-227 by Tonderum. Christiansen had 86 yards and Clausen had 24.

Christiansen was 3-of-5 passing for 34 yards. Tigges had two catches for 24 yards and Cody Hantelman had one catch for 10.

Christiansen led the defense with 11 tackles while Seth Anderson had eight, Willie Beeler, Tigges and Clausen each had six.

Tanner LaBore also had a fumble recovery in the second half.